A number of big-name architects have left their mark on Corpus Christi Country Club over the years.
The first Corpus Christi Country Club, a nine-hole design by Fred McLeod was built on North Beach and opened in 1909. The ceremonial first tee shot was hit by President Howard Taft, who was in town to visit his brother who owned a ranch just across the Nueces Bay. This course fell victim to the hurricane of 1919 and did not reopen until 1921.
John Bredemus architected the design built out on Up River Road. The first tee shot was fired on Labor Day 1922. At the time, this course on the Texas Riviera was considered to be one of the finest in the country. The course expanded to 18 holes by 1938.
The course you play today was carved out of a cotton field by the well-known Robert Trent Jones Sr. and was built in 1964 and opened January of 1965. A number of high profile events have been held at Corpus Christi Country Club including events on the: Texas PGA Tour , LPGA Tour, Ben Hogan Tour, Tight Lies Tour, and the Texas Golf Association. Included in this list of events was one of the 18 wins Bryon Nelson achieved in 1945. Although we were not part of the “Eleven Straight”, we were win #2 for Mr. Nelson. The July 4th Invitational was considered a premier amateur event and drew players from all over Texas and the US. The Invitational was played at Corpus Christi Country Club from 1934 through 1987.